Wednesday, July 19, 2006

HT and a bit more

Of all the things I wake up with in the morning(if one might like to say them mornings at 11 30 am), a newspaper and that too HT is one thing which has remained constant for around 13-14 years of my life. It is not that I am one of the biggest loyalists of brands, its just that no other newspaper comes closer to make me comfortable. Though I'd prefer the centre page writups and editorials of Hindu anyday over HT, but somehow the south Indian feel of Hindu has not been able to shift my preferences. Times of India is too clumsy for me, a bit too voluminous too ( notice the too many 'too's in a sentence). The only thing that works in favour of TOI are the advertisements of it during intermissions at any cinema hall ( especially when you don't have the money to get some popcorn and cold drink for yourself and when everyone else around has moved out so you are left to watch the TOI advertisements). The Ads are just brilliantly done and I wonder how they keep coming up with such appealing ones everytime.
But that is diverging from the topic. I know lots of people just hate HT so I am not here to market it to you. The thing which pushed me to make this tribute to such a long bonding with HT was the centre page article on the latest drive of the Government of India to block certain blogs, which according the them are supporting terrorism. This does not make much sense to me. When we call ourselves the biggest democracy in the world, we should learn to respect it too. Democracy is not just about making a government out of a billion people. It is about respecting the opinion of each one of those one billion. If ninety nine percent of them think likewise, that should be given more respect, but that does not make them any bit more correct than the remaining one percent.
Blogs have been a revolution in terms of freedom of expression. Thousands (if not more) of people are being heard now against the very few who used to make it to the offices of all these newspapers a few years back. And can the Government of India just let the people decide themselves, who are given the right to elect it, what is right and what is wrong for them rather than enforcing itself on them?
Again I digressed, so if you are one of them who are still thinking that what has gone wrong with blogspot and how to read your favorite blogs, just log on to www.pkblogs.com and.... start reading HT (who knows they might have a referral scheme?).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»